1 day 3 hours 10 mins
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup red wine or balsamic vinegar
- 10 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 large onions
- 1 pound bear meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 cups beef stock
- 1 cup pearl barley
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Prep: 10 mins | Cook: 3 hours | Extra time: 1 day, marinating
1. In a large plastic resealable bag, combine 1/4 cup oil, red wine, and 2 cloves minced garlic. Add cubed bear meat, seal bag, and turn to coat. Refrigerate to marinate for 24 hours, then drain and pat meat dry with paper towels.
2. Heat remaining oil in the bottom of a large saucepan to medium heat. Cook the meat in the hot oil for about 10 minutes to brown all sides, then remove from pan.
3. Add onions and remaining garlic to pan and cook for about 6 minutes, until onions have softened. Return bear meat to pot, add beef stock, pearl barley, and salt and pepper to taste, and bring to a boil.
4. Simmer for 3 hours, until sauce is thickened, barley is very soft, and meat is tender.