Makes: 4 sandwiches
- 6 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 300g Bison haunch steak
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper
- 1 red pepper
- 1 yellow pepper
- 4 large slices of your favourite bread cut in half, or 8 small slices
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 cup mixed salad greens
- Preheat grill to medium-high.
- Put the garlic cloves (unpeeled) in a square of foil and add a splash of oil. Enclose the garlic in the foil. Place the garlic in foil over an indirect heat or the coolest part of the grill and cook until soft and golden brown which is about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Bring the steak to room temperature and then sprinkle both sides of the steak with a 1/4 of a teaspoon of salt and pepper.
- Put the seasoned steak and whole peppers over direct heat or the hottest part of the grill. Cook the peppers until the skins are blistered on all sides, turning occasionally, for about 10 minutes. Cook the steak until cooked to your liking, about 4-5 minutes per side for medium.
- Once all cooked, transfer the garlic, peppers and steak to a clean platter. Rest the steak in foil for about 5 minutes and to keep it warm.
- Grill bread, turning once, until toasted, about 1 minute per side.
- When the peppers are cool and can be handled, peel and discard the stem and seeds. Cut into large strips and combine with the remaining 1/4 tsp. of salt in a bowl.
- Peel the garlic and combine with any leftover oil from the foil in another small bowl. Add the mayonnaise to this mix and mash with a fork until combined.
- Remove the steak from the foil and slice very thinly.
- To complete the sandwich, spread approximately 1 tsp. of the garlic mix on each piece of bread. Divide the salad greens, sliced steak and grilled peppers among the 4 slices of bread and then top with the remaining bread to make your delicious sandwich.