For the braise –
- 1kg Alpaca chuck fillet (or shanks)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 red onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon Korean chilli bean paste
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 750ml beer (bottle fermented)
- 1lt chicken stock
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
Everything else –
- 500g waxy potatoes
- 200g lotus
- 60g red eschallots
- 2 long red chillis
- 1 bunch mint
- 1 lime juice and zest
- Roughly chop onions and garlic. Add to a large pot with the alpaca chuck fillet and vegetable oil. Cook gently to release the flavours. Add remaining ingredients and bring to the simmer. Simmer gently for 2 hours or until the alpaca is tender.
- Remove from heat and allow it to cool slowly, about 1 hour.
- Remove alpaca and strain the stock. Return stock to heat and reduce by 1/4.
- Add potato, eschallots and lotus and cook till tender.
- Slice alpaca and add to stock to reheat. Add chopped mint and chilli slices as desired.
- When you’re serving, squeeze a little lime juice over the top and sprinkle over some lime zest.