- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 celery ribs, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 carrot, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 3 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup fine fresh bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 3/4 lb ground buffalo
- 6 shallots, cut into 1/3-inch wedges
- 6 plum tomatoes, each cut into 6 wedges
- 1/3 cup water
Preheat oven to 375°F.
Cook onion, celery, carrot, and garlic in 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over moderate heat until onion is softened. Transfer to a large bowl and stir in bread crumbs, parsley, egg, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper. Stir in buffalo (do not overmix) and form mixture into a 10- by 4-inch oval loaf in a large shallow metal baking pan. Toss shallots and tomatoes with remaining teaspoon oil and salt and pepper to taste, then scatter around meat loaf. Bake in middle of oven 1 hour and 10 minutes, or until a thermometer inserted 2 inches into center registers 160°F. Transfer meat loaf and vegetables to a platter and let stand 10 minutes.
While meat loaf is standing, deglaze baking pan with water over moderate heat, scraping up brown bits, and pour through a fine sieve into a bowl.
Serve meat loaf with shallots, tomatoes, and sauce.
Each serving about 221 calories and 8 grams fat