- 500g inner tail crocodile
- 4 tablespoons self raising flour
- water to mix
- 1 tablespoon oil
- Vegetable oil, for deep frying
- 1 shallot or white from spring onion
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 red chilli, chopped
- 2 coriander root
- 2 teaspoons shaoxing wine (Chinese cooking wine)
- 6 spring onion greens, chopped
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges to serve
Spice Mix; mix all below together
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon celery powder
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon five spice powder
2 cups jasmine rice
- Combine all ingredients for spice mix and set aside.
- Cut crocodile into 1x3cm strips across the grain of the meat.
- Mix together self-raising flour, oil and a little water to make a paste bowl. This is quite runny, like a batter. Add crocodile and coat well. Toss in cornflour to lightly coat. Heat oil in a wok, add crocodile in batches and cook until golden and crisp. Drain on paper towel.
- Heat a dry wok. Add shallots, garlic, chilli and coriander root.
- Return crocodile to wok and add 2 to 3 teaspoon of the five spice mix. Add shaoxing wine, then the spring onion greens. Toss well to combine and serve immediately with steamed jasmine rice, and a wedge of lemon.