- 1 crocodile filets cut into thin strips
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1/2 lemon, juice of
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 -2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons crunchy peanut butter
- 4 ounces unsalted cashews, crushed (110 g)
- 1 limes, juice of or 1 lemon, juice of
- 0.5 (12 ounce) can coconut milk
- fresh green chile, chopped (to taste)
- splash soy sauce, to season
- palm sugar (optional) or light muscovado sugar, to taste (optional)
- 8 -12 bamboo skewers or 8 -12 cocktail sticks, for assembling
- Soak the bamboo skewers or cocktail sticks in cold water for 10 minutes to prevent them from burning.
- Season the crocodile or chicken generously with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Cut into strips about 1cm x 2cm (0.5in x 1in).
- Mix together the marinade ingredients and marinate the crocodile or chicken strips for half an hour or longer if possible.
- To make the satay sauce, combine all the satay sauce ingredients together in a small pan, adding just enough soy sauce to season. Add a little palm sugar or light brown muscovado sugar to sweeten, if necessary.
- Simmer very gently for five minutes.
- Preheat a barbecue, grill or griddle pan until very hot.
- Thread two or three strips of marinated crocodile or chicken meat onto each skewer and place on the barbecue or griddle pan or under the grill.
- Cook for a few minutes on each side until cooked through and golden, being careful not to overcook.
- Serve the skewers with the hot satay sauce for dipping.