- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard or dry mustard
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons A1 Steak Sauce
- 1/2 cup smashed croutons
- Salt and pepper
- 2 lb ground elk meat
- Soft Gorgonzola
- 1 Sliced white onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or butter
Optional: add .5 pound elk sausage
- Sliced tomato
- Shredded cabbage
- Corn dusted hamburger buns
- Cream-style Horseradish
- In a large bowl, add mustard, Worcestershire sauce, A1 steak sauce, croutons, salt and pepper to ground elk meat. Mix all ingredients by hand and then form into patties. The sizes of the patties are up to you. I typically get 5 patties out of this recipe.
- After forming your patties, place direct on tinfoil. With your thumb, add a small indent into the center of each elk pattie. This will help keep pattie from shrinking when cooking.
- Pre-heat the barbecue to high temperature.
- Slice onion and place on tinfoil. Add olive oil or butter. Add salt and pepper. Place onion in foil on BBQ (high heat). Cook for 10 minutes – turning onions every few minutes until brown. Continue cooking until onions become caramelized. (Just a side note – add mushrooms and cook in Marsala wine)
- I love cooking on the direct heat but sometimes when you have company you don’t want to have to worry so much… I recommend that you cook the burgers direct on the tinfoil.
- Cook 7 minutes or until brown and then flip pattie. Continue cooking on other side until brown – 7 minutes. Add cheese to the top of burgers during the last 2 minutes of cooking. Close lid and melt cheese.
- Toast buns on grill.
Build burger with caramelized onion, tomato, shredded cabbage and a tablespoon of creamy horseradish.