- 2 tablespoons red chile powder
- 1 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground canela or cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 (3-5 pound) elk shoulder roast
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 cups low-sodium beef stock
In a large bowl, whisk together all the ingredients of the spice rub. Sprinkle the meat with salt and pepper, then add it to the bowl, coating it with the rub. Cover the bowl tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
Remove the meat from the refrigerator and allow it to come to room temperature.
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.