Preparation Time: 30 Min
Cooking Time: 3 Hr 20 Min
- Reindeer – 5-pound roast, boned and rolled
- Dry red wine 4 Cup (16 tbs)
- Onion 1 Large, sliced
- Stalk celery 1
- Peppercorns – onion
- Salt 1 Tablespoon
- Bay leaves 2
- Salt pork or bacon – 1/2 pound, cut into slices
- Butter 1/2 Cup (16 tbs)
- Dairy sour cream 1 Cup (16 tbs)
- Heavy cream 1/2 Cup (16 tbs), Whipped
- Mushroom caps – 1 pound, sauteed in butter
- Tomatoes 6 (Garnish:)
- Dark-blue grapes – 1/2 pound, stemmed
- Pineapple 1 Cup (16 tbs), chopped (Garnish:)
1) In a bowl, combine the red wine, onion, celery, peppercorns, salt, and bay leaves together.
2) In a large deep bowl, place the reindeer roast, pour over the wine mixture and allow to marinate for 24 to 48 hours; turning the roast occasionally.
3) Drain the marinade, wipe the roast; strain and reserve the marinade.
4) Lard the roast with salt pork or bacon, wrap around and secure with a string.
5) In a large heavy casserole or Dutch oven, brown the roast in butter on all the sides.
6) Pour over half of the reserved marinade, cover and simmer over a very low heat for 2 to 3 hours, basting occasionally with the pan juices, until the roast is tender.
7) Transfer the roast to a hot platter, keep hot; remove the string and salt pork or bacon.
8) In the same casserole or Dutch oven, swirl in the sour cream and thicken the sauce with a little flour blended with water
9) Gradually work in 1 tablespoon sour cream and cook for 2 or 3 minutes over a very low heat.
10) Lastly stir in the whipped cream and spoon some gravy over the roast on the platter.
11) Surround the Norwegian Reindeer Pot Roast with rows of mushroom caps alternately with mounds of grilled tomatoes, grapes, and pineapple.
Serve immediately with a gravy boat.