- 2 tablespoons clarified butter
- 4 (5 ounce) ostrich steaks
- 1/2 cup beef stock
- 1/3 cup creme fraiche
- 1/4 cup Calvados (apple brandy)
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Heat the butter in a skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the ostrich steaks in the hot butter until the outside is just about to be crisp, shown by darkening patches as with a beef steak, about 2 minutes per side. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the center should read 145 degrees F (63 degrees C) for rare. Remove the ostrich steaks from the pan, and keep warm.
- Pour the beef stock into the skillet, and bring to a boil over high heat. Boil for a few minutes until slightly reduced, then lower the heat to medium-low, and stir in the creme fraiche. Cook and stir 2 minutes, then pour in the Calvados, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Season each ostrich steak with pepper to taste. Spoon the sauce over the steaks to serve.