Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
- 1 guinea fowl , about 1.5kg/3lb 5oz
- 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp grainy mustard
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3-4 large carrots
- 750g floury potatoes
- 3-4 large leeks
- 300ml white wine
- 8 thin-sliced rashers streaky bacon
- Heat the oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4. Wipe the guinea fowl and season all over with salt and pepper, place in a large roasting tray and pop in the oven. Finely grate the lemon zest and scrape into a large bowl. Add the mustard and oil and mix well. Halve the lemon and put it inside the bird.
- Meanwhile, peel the carrots and potatoes, then cut them into thick chunks. Cut the leeks into 3-4 pieces, depending on their length. Add all the veggies to the bowl with the oil and mustard, and mix until well coated.
- When the guinea fowl has been roasting for 30 mins, add the veggies around the bird, sprinkle with a little salt and return to the oven for a further 45 mins.
- Splash the wine around the bird and over the veggies and put the bacon over the bird. Return to the oven for a further 15-20 mins, until the bacon is crisp and the veggies are tender.
Making it with other veg
Other root veg that you could use include celeriac,
sweet potatoes and parsnips – it’s up to you.
Per serving – 863 kcalories, protein 80.0g, carbohydrate 43.0g, fat 35.0 g, saturated fat 10.0g, fibre 7.0g, salt 1.88 g