- 2 Red onions, roughly chopped
- 5 Cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 tbsp Grated ginger
- 6 Large red chillies, seeds removed, roughly chopped
- 3 Stalks lemongrass, white part only, roughly chopped
- 3 tbsp Light-flavoured oil
- 2 tbsp Ground cumin
- 2 tbsp Ground coriander
- 2 tsp Turmeric
- 2 kg (4.4lbs) Buffalo steak, diced
- 400 ml (14.1fl oz) Coconut milk
- 2 Cinnamon sticks
- 1 tbsp Tamarind paste
- 1 tbsp Brown sugar
- Combine the onions, garlic, ginger, chillies and lemongrass in a food processor and pulse to a paste.
- Heat the oil in a large heavy-based saucepan over a medium heat. Add the paste plus the cumin, coriander and turmeric and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until fragrant.
- Add the buffalo steak and cook for 2 minutes, or until seared.
- Pour in the coconut milk and 400ml water, then add the cinnamon, tamarind paste, sugar and 2 teaspoons of salt. Simmer uncovered for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Serve the beef rendang with rice and steamed greens.