Preparation time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 1.5 hours
- 2 rabbits, skinned and jointed
- 200g pancetta, cut into lardons
- 8-12 shallots, peeled
- 2 carrots, peeled & cut into 1cm thick rounds
- 3 sticks of celery, thickly sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 sprigs of thyme
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- 600ml cider
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 700g new season potatoes, washed & peeled
- 100ml cream
- Sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 150°C.
- In a frying pan heat 1 tbsp of olive oil and when hot add the pancetta lardons. Fry until crispy and transfer them to a casserole.
- Add the pieces of rabbit in batches to the frying pan to lightly brown each side. Add to the casserole with the pancetta.
- Put the carrots, shallots and celery in the frying pan and season with sea salt and black pepper, making sure they are well coated in the juices from the rabbit, and brown for 2-3mins. Transfer to the casserole.
- Add the bay leaf, thyme and parsley to the casserole and cover with cider. Bring to the boil and add the sugar.
- Place a lid on the casserole and bake in the oven for 1 – 1 ½ hours.
- Meanwhile par-boil the potatoes and add to the casserole approx. 30mins before the end of the cooking time.
- When the casserole is ready and the rabbit is tender, stir in the cream.