- 1 large onion , chopped
- olive oil
- 1 guinea fowl , cut into 8 pieces
- flour for dusting
- 2 garlic cloves , crushed
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 300g chestnut button mushrooms
- 400ml red wine
- 200ml chicken stock
- 12 large Charlotte potatoes , peeled but left whole
- Fry the onion in a little oil for a few minutes in a casserole until soft, dust the Guinea fowl in flour and add to the pan. Fry on a high heat in batches until starting to brown. Stir in the garlic, thyme and mushrooms, then add the wine. Bring to a boil, add the stock and simmer for 5 minutes or until the meat is cooked. If the sauce is very liquid, remove the meat and reduce for a minute.
- Heat the oven to 220C/fan 200C/gas 7. Boil the potatoes for 15 minutes, drain, cool, then thinly slice. Arrange the potatoes on top of the casserole so they overlap. Work from the outside in (don’t worry if you end up with a gap in the middle). Dot with butter and bake for 20 minutes until crisp.
579 kcalories, protein 34.8g, carbohydrate 42.1g, fat 26.8 g, saturated fat 11.8g, fibre 3.9g, salt 0.69 g