1 hrs and 15 mins
- 1 guinea fowl , jointed to make 2 boneless breasts , 2 thighs and 2 drumsticks (keep the carcass)
- vegetable oil
- chicken stock fresh, cube or concentrate made up to 500ml
- a few sprigs thyme
- 1 garlic clove , smashed
- 2 carrots , diced
- Savoy cabbage , quartered and sliced
- 200g cannellini beans
- Remove the skin from the thighs and drumsticks but leave it on the breasts. Heat a little vegetable oil in a large pan and brown the guinea fowl carcass for about 2 minutes. Pour over chicken stock to just cover. Bring to boil, skim the surface, then add the thyme and garlic. Drop in the drumsticks and thighs and turn the heat down to barely a simmer. Cook for 40 minutes, then remove the meat and allow the liquid to cool.
- Drain the stock and return it to the heat with the carrots. Cook until just tender, then add the cabbage and beans and cook until the cabbage is wilted. Add the drumsticks and thighs and heat through.
- Heat a little vegetable oil in a frying pan and cook the breasts skin side down until golden. Turn over and cook for a further 3 minutes until the meat is cooked through. Serve the stew in 2 bowls with the breasts on top.
858 kcalories, protein 110.4g, carbohydrate 27.9g, fat 31.6 g, saturated fat 9.6g, fibre 9.3g, salt 2.55 g