Total Time:1 hrs 20 mins
Prep Time:20 mins
Cook Time:1 hrs
- 1 (2 1/2 lb) rabbit, quartered
- 3 slices bacon, cut in thirds
- 1 1/2 cups sliced onions
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 2 bay leaves
- salt and pepper
- In a large skillet or medium-sized Dutch oven, cook bacon until done; remove bacon with a slotted spoon and reserve for another use (for a salad, etc).
- In the bacon drippings, cook the onion and garlic until transparent. A.
- dd the rabbit pieces and saute over medium heat until rabbit is golden.
- Sprinkle on the flour and continue to brown rabbit for another 5 minutes or so, then add the beef broth, red wine, thyme, parsley and bay leaves.
- Cover and simmer over low heat for about an hour, adding more broth if necessary. Salt and pepper to taste (with the bacon drippings, not much salt is needed). Serve with mashed potatoes or buttered egg noodles.