- 1½ pound veal knuckle, cut in 2 inch pieces
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup chopped onion
- ⅓ cup chopped celery
- 1 small carrot, chopped
- ¼ teaspoon thyme
- dash marjoram
- 1 whole clove
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ cup flour
- 3 (10½ oz) cans condensed beef broth
- 1 cup canned tomatoes
- 1 pound frozen snapper turtle meat, cut in small pieces (veal meat can be substituted as snapper is hard to find)
- ¾ cup water
- ½ cup sherry
- 1 dash bottled hot pepper sauce
- 1 slice lemon
- 1 hard cooked egg, chopped
- Place first 11 ingredients in shallow roasting pan.
- Bake at 400:F. for 30 minutes.
- Push bones to one side; blend in flour.
- Bake at 350:F. for 30 minutes longer.
- Transfer to a kettle; add broth and tomatoes.
- Cover and simmer for 1½ hours.
- Meanwhile, simmer the turtle meat, covered, in ¾ cup water, 1 to 1½ hours, or to tender.
- Add sherry, hot pepper sauce and lemon slice.
- Cover and simmer 10 minutes.
- Strain veal soup, discarding bones; skim off fat.
- Combine veal and turtle mixtures; stir in egg. Heat through.
- Season with salt and pepper.