- 4 ostrich steaks (250-300g each steak)
- 8 jumbo prawns
- 1 small red onion, chopped finely
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon chicken stock powder
- 15 -20 garlic cloves
- 1 cup cream
- 1/2 teaspoon cornflour
- 500 -600 g mushrooms, Chopped (A mixture Swiss brown, oyster, shiitake, button etc.. whatever is available.)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Place cloves of garlic in a roasting pan, still in skin and roast in 200c oven until browned and soft. (about 10-15 Min’s).
- Remove and set aside to cool.
- In a pan, melt butter, add garlic and mushrooms cook a few minutes to brown mushrooms, add wine and cook until liquid has evaporated, stir in parsley and thyme.
- Mushrooms can be made ahead and reheated in the microwave.
- Heat a small amount of oil in pan, add onion and cook until soft. Add wine and stock, stir to dissolve stock.
- Squeeze each garlic clove into sauce, they will be the consistency of a puree. (I prefer to do this, but I think you can buy already prepared roast garlic puree, not sure if it tastes the same.).
- Add cream and pepper, just before serving mix a little water with cornflour and add to sauce. This is only meant to thicken slightly it is not supposed to be a really thick sauce.
- Serve over Ostrich.
- Ostrich Steaks.
- BBQ, grill or pan fry steaks until desired doneness, ostrich is a very lean meat and toughens when overcooked. It is better cooked medium rare, but if you prefer your meat a little more done do not cook more than absolutely necessary as it will be like eating leather.
- While the steaks are cooking heat some oil in a separate pan and cook prawns until pink and cooked through.
- To serve: Spoon mushrooms onto plate to form a base, place steaks on top and then top with prawns and drizzle with sauce.
- I topped mine with asparagus spears as well, if you want to make these they are very easy.
- I buy baby asparagus and use 5 spears per roll, wrap these with a piece of bacon and place in an oven proof dish drizzle with olive oil, add a couple of garlic cloves to pan and cook in 180c oven until bacon is cooked and asparagus tender, about 10-15 Min’s.