Ready in an hour, plus marinating
- 2 guinea fowl , spatchcocked
For the marinade
- 4 red chillies , finely chopped
- 2 limes , juiced
- 3 garlic cloves , crushed
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- a small bunch parsley , chopped
- Put the guinea fowl in a shallow dish, mix together the marinade ingredients and pour over. Leave for a couple of hours, or overnight if possible.
- Heat the oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6. Put the birds on a roasting tray skin-side up and pour the marinade over. Cook for about 45 minutes (basting occasionally with the marinade) until crisp, golden and cooked through. Chop into quarters (leave on the bone) and serve with salad or sautéed potatoes.
This fiery Portuguese marinade has many different incarnations, but the basic ingredients remain the same; chillies, garlic and the sharpness of lime juice or vinegar. Guinea fowl has a more gamey flavour than chicken so it stands up to marinating really well.
581 kcalories, protein 84.4g, carbohydrate 2.7g, fat 23.4 g, saturated fat 4g, fibre 0.3g, salt 0.55 g