1 hour 20 mins
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 4 pork and herb sausages
- 4 rashers streaky unsmoked bacon, chopped
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 sticks celery, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 large guinea fowl
- 300ml (9½fl oz) chicken stock
- Few sprigs of thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 2-3 juniper berries
- Heat the oven to 180°C (gas mark 4). Heat the oil in a large casserole dish, add the sausages and fry until coloured, then remove and set aside. Add the bacon and sauté for 2 minutes, then add onions, garlic, celery and carrots. Cook, stirring, for about 5 minutes.
- Return the sausages to the casserole, then add the guinea fowl, breast-side up. Pour in the stock and add the thyme, bay leaves and juniper berries. Bring to the boil then cover and place in the oven. Cook for 1 hour, then remove the lid and return to the oven for a further 20 minutes to brown.
- Remove the sausages and bird and set aside, discard the bay leaves, and, using a potato masher, mash the vegetables to make a thick sauce.
- Serve the bird with the sausages and the sauce.