- 2 pounds calf testicles*
- 2 cups beer
- 2 eggs, beaten shopping list
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup yellow cornmea1
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Vegetable oil**
- 1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce
* Be sure to ask your butcher for calf testicles, not bull testicles. Calf testicles are the size of a walnut and are much more tender than the larger bull testicles.
- With a very sharp knife, split the tough skin-like muscle that surrounds each testicle.
- Remove the skin (you can remove the skin easily if the testicles are frozen, then peel while thawing).
- Slice each testicle into approximately 1/4- to 1/2-inch-thick ovals. Place slices in a large pan or bowl with enough beer to cover them; cover
- let sit 2 hours.
- In a shallow bowl, combine eggs, flour, cornmeal, salt, and pepper. Remove testicles from beer; drain
- Dredge thoroughly in the flour mixture.
- In a large, deep pot, heat oil to 375 degrees F.
- Deep fry 3 minutes or until golden brown (will rise to the surface when done).
- Drain on paper towels.
- Serve warm with your favorite hot pepper sauce.