For the cakes:
- 2 lbs. rattlesnake (or lump crab)
- 1 each red, green, and yellow bell pepper, diced fine
- 2 serrano chiles, diced fine
- 1 bunch of cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 c. red onion, diced fine
- 1 c. Ritz cracker crumbs
- 2 eggs
- 1 t. Habañero Tabasco
Combine all ingredients well and form into 2 oz. cakes. Reserve in the refrigerator until ready to cook.
For the mango-jalapeño puree:
- 4 mangos, peeled and deseeded
- 1/2 t. garlic
- 1/2 t. shallots
- 1 bunch cilantro, rinsed
- 2 jalapeños, chopped and seeded
- 1/2 c. hazelnut oil, or 2 t. fresh hazelnut if available
- 1/2 c. brown sugar
- 1/2 c. white wine (I suggest a J. Lohr–style riesling)
- 1/4 c. lime juice
Combine all ingredients in a blender and puree until smooth. Reserve.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Cover the base of a large, hot sauté pan with a small amount of olive oil. Sear the cakes for about 1 min. per side, then place in the oven for about 8 min. more.
- On the base of a large platter, pour the puree, then place the cakes on top and drizzle a bit more sauce over them. Now you’re ready to snake, rattle and roll!