- 1/4 cup Merlot (optional)
- 3 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp minced ginger
- 2 whole squabs or one small spring chicken (cut into half)
- 2/3 cup oolong or black tea leaves
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup long-grain rice
- 1 tsp Chinese five-spice
- Combine the marinade ingredients in a pot.
- Add squabs or spring chicken and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove chicken, let cool and pat dry with paper towels.
- Steam squab or spring chicken for 25-30 minutes.
- Line the inside of wok and its lid with foil.
- Combine the smoking mixture and spread evenly on the insides of the foil-lined wok.
- Set a round cake rack over the wok with the smoking mixture.
- Place the squab on the rack.
- Heat the wok, uncovered, over high heat until mixture begins to smoke.
- Cover wok with a lid and reduce to medium-low heat and smoke for 7 to 10 minutes.
- Turn off heat and let it stand for 3 minutes before removing lid.