- 4 pieces squab, New York-dressed
- Olive oil
- Chicken stock
Farro, Chanterelles, and Candied Orange:
- 1 orange, quartered
- ½ sugar
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Pastilla spices
- 1 cup Chanterelle mushrooms, cooked
- 1 stem parsley, chopped large
- 1 tablespoon Marcona almonds, roasted
- 1 tablespoon golden raisins
For the Squab:
- Remove the breasts from the squab and reserve. Remove the livers and sauté very quickly in a little of the olive oil; allow to cool and cut each into quarters. Remove the legs and poach in chicken stock until tender, about 1 hour; remove the meat from the bone and reserve.
For the Farro, Chanterelles, and Candied Orange:
- Put the quartered orange in a pot. Cover with water and bring to a boil, then drain the water and refill with fresh cold water and bring back to a boil. Repeat this process twice more, then fill the pot with enough water to cover and add the sugar. Simmer slowly for two hours.
- Remove the orange, cool, and cut into even strips. Cook the farro in chicken stock seasoned with salt until tender, about 20 minutes. Strain the chicken stock and season the farro with some of the olive oil and sherry vinegar. Add the Pastilla spices to taste then add the Chanterelle mushrooms, parsley, almonds, raisins, squab livers, shredded squab leg, and candied orange.
To Assemble and Serve:
- Sauté the squab breasts skin-side down in a large pan with remaining olive oil until medium rare. Remove from the heat and allow them to rest. Arrange the farro mixture on four plates and place a squab breast on top of each.