- 600g kangaroo fillets, trimmed (see Notes)
- 1 tbs soy sauce
- 1 tbs sesame oil
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, very thinly sliced
- 6 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 4 eschalots, thinly sliced
- 1 small red chilli, seeds removed, thinly sliced
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced on an angle
- 1/2 cup each basil leaves, mint leaves and coriander leaves
- 2 tbs lime juice, plus lime wedges to serve
- 2 tbs fish sauce
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 2 tsp caster sugar
- Combine kangaroo, soy sauce and sesame oil in a bowl, stirring to coat. Stand at room temperature for 30 minutes to marinate.
- Heat olive oil in a pan over medium-low heat. Cook garlic for 1 minute or until light golden. Remove and drain on paper towel.
- Return frypan to high heat. Sear the kangaroo for 2-3 minutes on each side for medium-rare. Transfer to a plate, cover loosely with foil and rest for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for the dressing, whisk lime juice, fish sauce, oil and sugar together in a bowl until sugar dissolves. Set aside.
- Place tomatoes, eschalot, chilli, spring onion and herbs in a bowl. Thinly slice kangaroo and add to the bowl with some dressing to taste, then toss to combine.
- Divide among plates, then scatter with crisp garlic and serve with the remaining dressing and lime wedges, if desired.