Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
- 1 truffle
- 1 oven-ready guinea fowl
- 50g butter , softened
- 450g small potatoes , peeled
- 8 shallots , peeled and left whole
- 100g piece of bacon , diced
- drizzle truffle oil
- Heat oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6. Peel and very finely slice the truffle. Loosen the breast skin of the bird, smear most of the butter underneath, then place half the truffle slices under the skin. Heat the rest of the butter in a casserole dish, brown bird on all sides, place the bird, breast side up, in oven, then cook for 30 mins.
- While the bird is roasting, tip the potatoes into a pan of water and bring to the boil. Tip in the shallots and bacon, simmer everything for 2 mins, then drain.
- Remove bird from the oven and lift from the pan. Tip potatoes, shallots and bacon into the casserole dish and toss in the juices. Nestle the bird among the vegetables and return to oven for 30-40 mins. When the bird is done, remove from the oven to rest, but cook the vegetables for a further 15 mins. Scoop vegetables into a serving bowl and scatter with the rest of the truffle. Serve the bird with potatoes drizzled with truffle oil.
We used a sand truffle with a drizzle of truffle oil, but if you have a black or white truffle, then leave out the oil – you won’t need it.
644 kcalories, protein 60.0g, carbohydrate 20.0g, fat 35.0 g, saturated fat 14.0g, fibre 2.0g, sugar 1.0g, salt 1.36 g