- 1/4 lb chopped bacon
- meat of two turtles, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 c. flour 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 4 cups beef broth
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 4 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 2 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp marjoram
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook bacon in stew pot until done, remove bacon and set aside. Pour off grease except for 3 or 4 tablespoons.
- Rinse turtle pieces in cold water. Drain, dredge in flour seasoned with salt and pepper. Brown turtle pieces slowly in bacon grease over medium heat.
- Add 4 cups beef broth and bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until turtle is tender and can easily be removed from bone. Remove turtle. Allow to cool until meat can be handled.
- Stir bacon, carrots, potatoes, onions, tomatoes and spices into stew pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until vegetables are done. Remove meat from bones. Cut into chunks across grain. Stir into pot. Simmer additional 15 minutes. Taste stew, adjust seasonings as desired.
1/4 lb chopped baconmeat of two turtles, cut into bite-sized pieces1/2 c. flour 1/2 tsp salt1/4 tsp pepper4 cups beef broth2 carrots, sliced4 large potatoes, peeled and cubed2 medium onions, chopped28 oz can diced tomatoes2 tsp thyme1 tsp marjoramsalt and pepper to taste