Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 750g small potatoes , halved or quartered if some are large
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 venison steaks
- 1 tbsp cracked black pepper
- chopped parsley , to serve (optional)
For the Sauce
- zest 1 orange , removed in strips, plus its juice
- 6 tbsp redcurrant jelly
- 4 tbsp port
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Make the gravy by simmering all the ingredients together until the redcurrant jelly has completely melted. Keep warm.
- Steam or simmer the potatoes until just tender, about 8 mins, then drain well and add a few drops of oil.
- Lay the venison on a board. Sprinkle some of the black pepper and a little salt on each side, pressing the pepper into the steaks. Heat the remaining oil in a pan. When it has a shimmering surface, add the steaks, 2 at a time. Cook for 2 mins on each side for rare, 3 mins for medium and 4 mins for well done. When cooked, return them all to the pan and pour over the sauce. Warm for 1 min, sprinkle with parsley. Serve with the potatoes and peas, if you like, and any extra sauce spooned over.
460 kcalories, protein 37g, carbohydrate 48g, fat 14 g, saturated fat 2g, fibre 2g, sugar 20g, salt 0.27 g