Preparation time: 15mins
Cooking time: 4-5mins either side
- 4 venison steaks or 1 piece of venison fillet weighing approx 750g – 1kg
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Olive oil and a knob of butter
- Pappardelle pasta
- 3 tomatoes, skinned, de-seeded and chopped
- 4 spring onions, peeled and chopped
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄2 cucumber, chopped
- Fresh mint, finely chopped
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Sprig of basil
- Brush the venison steaks with a little olive oil and season. Cook under a hot grill on both sides. During grilling brush with a little oil and butter.
- To make the salsa mix all the ingredients together and season to taste.
- Cook the pasta according to the instructions. Drain and toss in oil. Serve the venison steak with pasta and some salsa.
Roast a whole fillet of venison in a hot oven 200°C/400°F/ Gas Mark 6 until tender and serve with a selection of roast vegetables, e.g. red and green peppers, whole onions, courgettes, aubergines. Makes a stylish dish for entertaining.