- 1 Deep fryer, or high sided pan for deep frying and a thermometer. Slotted spoon. Paper towel. Fry pan.
- Vegetable oil (for deep frying, about 5 cups)
- 3/4 Pound pound wild boar meat diced into small pieces (can substitute pork fillet, skinless chicken thighs or alligator)
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 15 Ounce can creamed corn
- 2 Eggs, beaten
- 3 Shallots/spring onions, minced
- 1 Tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 Cup self raising flour
- 1 Cup cornmeal or polenta
- 1/2 Teaspoon baking powder
- 1 Teaspoon salt
- Mayonnaise or chilli sauce to serve
- Heat oil to 365 F in a deep fryer, or a high sided pan.
- In another fry pan add the tablespoon of olive oil and saute the pieces of wild boar in batches until it is browned and cooked. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl combine all the other ingredients and mix well.
- Add the wild boar meat and stir to blend.
- Use a tablespoon or dessert spoon to portion the batter and drop gently into the hot oil.
- Cook 6-8 of the hush puppies at a time. Cook for around 5 minutes, until golden brown.
- Remove when cooked with the slotted spoon and place on paper towel to drain. Sprinkle with a little extra salt before serving.