- 1 c Olive oil
- 1 c Merlot or red wine
- 2 T Italian Spice Mix
- 4-5 lbs Bear Roast
- 1/4 t Black Pepper
- 1/4 t Paprika
- 1/2 t Garlic Powder
- 4 Carrots
- 4 Potatoes
- 1 (4 oz) Can of Mushroom stems and pieces
- 1 (10 3/4 oz) Can of Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 1 (10 3/4 oz) Can of Onion Soup
1. Marinate for 24 hours.
2. Place the bear meat in an extra large, heavy duty zip-lock freezer bag.
3. Add the wine, olive oil and Italian spices to the bag and zip it up. Use the bag to rub the marinade all over the roast
4. Place in the refrigerator to marinate overnight, 12 to 24 hours.
5. Once the meat has marinated, remove it from the marinade and pat it dry with paper towels.
6. Season the entire roast with paprika, pepper, garlic powder and lightly flour the roast on all sides.
7. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil over medium high heat in a large cast iron skillet.
8. Carefully placed the floured roast in the skillet and brown on all sides to sear the meat.
9. Pour the cans of mushroom soup, onion soup and the mushrooms into the crock pot. Add water to thin the soup mix if needed. Mix together.
10. Add the roast and baste with the soup mixture.
11. Add the carrots and potatoes to the crock pot.
12. Cook on Low for 6-7 hours until tender.
Campfire Dutch Oven Method
Cooking Method for Roasting Meat:
1. Start coals 20 minutes before cooking. Get a fire going to where you have a bed of long lasting slow-burning charcoals. You may have to check and add more fuel during cooking time.
2. Using 20-25 briquettes underneath, heat oil in a 12″ deep Dutch Oven until the oven is hot.
3. Brown the roast, onions. Add Garlic; cook 1 minute.
4. Add chicken stock or mushroom soup slowly into Dutch Oven. Cover and put on the the hot coals for two and a half hours.
5. Cover and reduce briquettes to 12 beneath the oven and the rest on top of the lid.
6. At the end of two and a half hours, add carrots, potatoes or vegetables of choice. Season to taste. Cover and continue baking 30- 45 more minutes.
7. Every campfire is different. Check for doneness.
8. Serve with good crusty bread and butter. Simple!