1 hrs 50 mins
- 2 lbs bull testicles (calf, lamb, sheep, or turkey testicles can also be used)
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup red wine
- garlic powder
- bottled hot sauce
- cooking oil (for frying) or fat (for frying)
- Split the tough skin-like muscle that surrounds each “oyster” (use a sharp knife). You can also remove the skin easily if the meat is frozen and then peeled while thawing.
- Soak in a pan of salt water one hour; drain.
- Transfer to a large pot and add enough water to float the meat.
- Add the vinegar to the pot.
- Parboil, drain and rinse.
- Let cool and slice each oyster into 1/4 inch thick ovals.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper on both sides of sliced oyster to taste.
- Combine flour, cornmeal and some garlic powder to taste.
- Roll each slice into flour mixture.
- Dip into milk.
- Roll again into flour mixture.
- Dip into wine.
- (repeat the procedure for a thicker crust).
- Fry in hot oil or fat seasoned with the bottled hot sauce to taste (be careful, it will sizzle when you add the hot sauce); fry until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Serve with cocktail sauce if desired.