Makes: 4 servings
Active Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1 tablespoon canola oil, divided
- 1 Spanish onion, cut in half lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into thin strips
- 2 tablespoons coarse-grained mustard
- 1/4 cup water
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 4 4-ounce bison or beef tenderloin steaks, about 1 inch thick, trimmed
- Preheat grill.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Add bell pepper and cook until the onion is golden, about 10 minutes more. (If the mixture becomes too dry, add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water.)
- Whisk mustard with water in a small bowl. Add to the onion mixture and cook until most of the liquid has evaporated, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper; keep warm.
- Brush steaks lightly with the remaining 1 teaspoon oil and season to taste with salt and a generous grinding of pepper. Grill the steaks to desired doneness, about 3 minutes per side for medium-rare. Serve with the onion-pepper mixture.
Per serving: 207 calories; 9 g fat ( 2 g sat , 4 g mono ); 73 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 25 g protein; 2 g fiber; 273 mg sodium; 451 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (37% daily value), Vitamin C (97% dv), Iron (19% dv), Selenium (50% dv), Zinc (29% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2