- 1 pound flank, skirt, or sirloin tip
- 1 1/2 tablespoons black peppercorns, coarsely ground
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 hot green chili (preferably Thai green chili)
- 2 cucumbers, thinly sliced
- 4 shallots, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 cup mint, chopped
Preheat the broiler or a grill to high. Pour the black peppercorns onto large plate. Coat all sides of the steak with the peppercorns. Cook the steak for 3 to 5 minutes a side, or until medium-rare. Remove the steak, and set aside. Let cool, and then place in the fridge. Give the steak as much time as you can to cool completely. Preferably an hour or so. But even 15 minutes will help.
Whisk together the fish sauce, lime juice, sugar, and sliced chili.
Take the steak out and thinly slice it against the grain.
Toss the steak slices with the cucumbers, shallots, cilantro, and mint in a large bowl. Add the fish sauce mixture and toss again. Serve.